I’m supposed to be in the middle of the Sierra Nevada right now. Specifically, at the Niagara OHV Campground in the Stanislaus National Forest.
One problem: The campground is overrun with yellow jackets that are foraging for food — and that seem to think human beings are food. I got stung once shortly after I arrived there, which was disconcerting, but my antihistamines handled any allergic reaction. A couple of hours later, after heating up my chili, I got swarmed by yellow jackets who were absolutely enamored of my chili (thus why I know they weren’t bees, bees don’t care for meat), and one of them stung me on the thumb and made me drop the titanium pot that I had the chili in. They then swarmed the chili on the ground (and the pot).
But more disconcerting, my thumb started swelling up much like the sight of money makes Donald Trump’s wee-wee start swelling up. (And they’re about the same size too, if that statue was correctly proportioned). Clearly my antihistamines weren’t doing the job well enough. Also clearly, if I hung around the campground, I *would* get stung again, and possibly have a life-threatening allergic reaction rather than one that immobilized a thumb.
Thus I made the decision to abort the trip and head home. I will be sucking down some Benadryl shortly to handle the allergic reaction, it is far more effective against allergic reactions from stings than the no-drowsiness antihistamines. And of course you can’t drive with Benadryl in you, since it zonks you out…
— Badtux the Bummed Penguin